I have been training in Krav Maga (Self Defence) for ten years and like most guys, I have always been fascinated with martial arts. It is here where I first learned about Bruce Lees’ method of setting and achieving goals.
“I, Bruce Lee, will be the first highest paid Oriental Super Star in the United States. In return, I will give exciting performances and render the best of quality in the capacity of an actor.
Starting 1970, I will achieve world fame and from then onward till the end of 1980, I will have in my possession $10,000,000. I will live the way I please and achieve inner harmony and happiness.”
A definite chief aim, simply put, is a clearly written financial goal. It was first published in the book, “Think and Grow Rich” by Napoleon Hill in 1937.
The good thing about this financial goal is that money is a common goal which clients have and can be combined with what they are passionate about in life. They can work towards that figure by doing something they love and enjoying each step along the way.
Most importantly though, it allows leverage to really utilise time by choice.
This is a huge realisation. Yes, money can buy things, however, it cannot buy the most precious resource there is, time. I recommend helping clients fully understand this, especially those who have a negative money mindset.
Help them see the long-term big picture.
A Definite Chief Aim consists of three main parts.
- The sum of money you desire
- The date by which you want to attain it
- The services you are prepared to give in return for these riches
I would like to emphasise a fourth and fifth step- crucial for success
- Read this statement daily
- Create a plan to achieve this goal, visualise the end result and take This includes reflecting and modifying the DCA statement along the way.
YOUR DEFINITE CHIEF AIM
Write down each of the following
Step 1: The exact amount of money you want to have.
Step 2: The exact date that you want to achieve it.
Step 3: What services you are prepared to give in return for this money.
Step 4: As one complete statement
Now break it down and follow the 6 strategies to ensure they achieve it.
6 DCA STRATEGIES
- Reading their DCA 1-2 times per day.
- Creating an action plan – the steps that they will take towards the DCA. This is a very important component as a coach. Assist the person to develop a list of what they can do immediately to start
- Set a routine time for them to visualise the DCA as already achieved. From experience, the last thing at night is always a good time.
- Set a day and time for them to reflect on how they are going towards their DCA at least once a week. A time for them to feel good about the steps they have taken verses have not. Also this is an opportunity to amend the DCA, especially in the early stages as people soon gain incredible clarity of what it really is they want in life.
- Help the person with accountability. If you are not going to be working with them regularly have them construct their DCA with a friend or family. Mutual accountability increases success.
- Using their Reticular Activating System or RAS for short, with intention.
RETICULAR ACTIVATING SYSTEM
The simple way to explain it is the part of your brain which filters out relevant information from your environment. We receive an enormous amount of information at any given time, much is irrelevant and likewise unless we are looking much goes unnoticed. For example, have you ever bought something new and then seen this exact same item everywhere? This is your RAS at work. Because you have focused on something, it has programmed your RAS to find it in the world.
Now you know how powerful it is. Imagine using it with deliberate daily intention!
In a more scientific way, at the back of your brain near the Occipital lobe, is a network like a cluster of cells. This is your RAS. It is the gateway to which nearly all information enters your brain.
It has a number of important functions which can help you achieve the outcomes you desire.
Powerful Stories, Tips and Amazing Insight
Ready, Set, Go! Everything you need to know to start coaching from the legends in the field. As well as the Business and Life coaches, our launch edition features David Parkin (AFL), Lisa Alexander (Netball Australia), Adam Commens (Hockey Australia), Simon Cusack (Swimming Australia), Sean Douglas (FFA) and many more!